Dec 7, 2011

Eggnog Cake

I love to shop at Trader Joes! Period.

I love looking at the various aisles filled with unique ingredients and each time I visit the store, I always pick up something new to try! With the store situated one block away from my house, you can see me lurking the store often.. I have even been considering blogging about my Trader Joes' finds! 


During one such trip to the store, I happened to notice a carton of Eggnog! I have never bought or tasted eggnogs before. I came home and researched about eggnogs and happened to learn that it was a famous holiday drink.. It is made with egg and milk and rich in calories. I even came across some amazing recipes with eggnog. During my next trip I got a carton of light eggnog which is far lesser in fat and calories compared to the regular eggnog. 

I had the idea of making a simple pound cake with the eggnog. But I was too lazy to whip up my own cake and I was also running out of time. So I made use of a boxed cake mix to make this delicious cake. Any boxed cake mix can be used for this recipe. Just ignore the recipe instructions in the box and you can make this cake in a matter of minute using just 3 ingredients.

Ingredients (yields two 9 inch round cakes or one large bundt cake)
Any boxed cake mix - 16 oz ( I used Betty Crocker's Carrot cake mix)
Eggs - 2
Eggnog - 1 1/2  cups
Eggnog - 1/2 cup (for drizzling over the cake)


Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and the egg nog(1.5 cups) for about a minute using an electric hand mixer.
  3. Slowly add the cake mix in batches and beat for about 2 minutes until well combined.
  4. Grease two 9 or 10 inch cake pans or one large bundt pan or two loaf pans with cooking spray or butter.
  5. Slowly add the prepared batter to the pans.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. When the cake is done, let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and transfer it to a wire rack.
  8. Drizzle the remaining half cup of eggnog over the cake. 
  9. The cake absorbs all the eggnog and results in a mist and rich cake.
  10. Serve the cake as a dessert!

The theme for this month's Sweet Punch Baking is 'Your Choice'. This is my entry for this month's Sweet Punch!

Sending this to Let's Cook- Baked GoodiesCooking Concepts- Holiday BakingA 100 Day Global Food FestivalSYF and HWS Series- Cardamom,  Jingle All The Way,  Christmas DelicacySinful Delights and Bake Fest




21 comments:

  1. Ohh wow,this cake looks lovely and sumptuous!What an easy yet delectable recipe! Even I have this habit of lurking about stores - specially food stores and believe me,I just love the experience.Makes me so happy just to explore and learn so much about things - pity them who miss out of this wanton fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting cake with eggnog. Looks delicious. Trader Joes is one of my favorite store too, usually end up buying lot more stuff than I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here...me too love to shop @ Trader Joes :)) This Eggnog Cake looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi
    hearing it first time :-)
    I can say wow, can't try, I am happy with your post , hope sometimes if I get Eggnog packet I will try it for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks extremely super moist and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hellow there, i ahve been following ure project 365, or rather was and then lost the url :(
    now ive found it and eggnog latte is a fav of mine, so im thinking a cake would be so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks so good.. I never heard a cake with egg nog, I have to try it... looks super tempting in the pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks so moist and yumm. I love looking in the supermarkets too , to find new things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ver interesting!!!luvly!!
    cake looks adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to know what eggnog was but never really found the time to even google it out! We use both egg and milk in our pound cake recipe so its a very simple idea! I also see how much you love eggs!

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Divs, How are you? Its been a while that I dropped by your blog and said hi. :-). the very mentione of Trader Joes made me feel so nostalgic. All I want to do is pick my DSLR now and capture TJ in my lens. All of their products are nothing but awesome isn't it and every aisle has something new to offer! the cake has got a nice brown color.

    Hugs,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a unique cake!
    I love Trader Joes too unfortunately there isn't one closeby to where we live now.

    I would love to see a post with your TJ finds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. first time in your space...i just loved this recipe of cake with eggnok....never knew abt eggnok be4...will definitely giv it a try next time...n thanks for sharing the recipe.....glad to follow ur space here...do visit mine when time permits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome cake. A great way to use eggnog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanx for linking it to my event :) the texture of the cake is perfect!
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...