Sep 29, 2009

JFI:Rajma

Here comes the next event in my blog. Indira of Mahanandi gave me the opportunity to host this month's edition of JFI. I chose the theme to be Rajma. "Jihva for Ingredients (JFI) is an online monthly food event, celebrating the natural Ingredients and what they can do for our Jeeva." Rajma is commonly known as kidney beans. True to their name, these popular beans are kidney shaped and are especially good in simmered dishes where they absorb the flavors of seasonings and the other foods with which they are cooked.


Here are some facts about the bean Rajma:[Wikipedia]
  • Before they are eaten, the raw bean seeds should be soaked in water for several hours and then boiled for at least ten minutes in new fresh water to degrade a toxic compound — the lectinphytohaemagglutinin — found in the bean, which would otherwise cause severe gastric upset.
  • Kidney beans, especially, should not be sprouted.
  • Similar to other beans, the common bean is high in starch, protein and dietary fiber and is an excellent source of iron, potassium, selenium, molybdenum, thiamine, vitamin B6, and folic acid.
  • Dry beans will keep indefinitely if stored in a cool, dry place, but as time passes, their nutritiveflavor degrade and cooking times lengthen.

Some ideas for cooking kidney beans:
The authentic rajma chawal prepared in North India. A wholesome one pot dish where the rice is cooked with the rajma.

Combine cooked kidney beans with black beans and white beans to make a colorful three bean salad. Mix with tomatoes and scallions and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper.

Serve cooked kidney beans over a piece of cornbread and top with grated cheese for a twist on the traditional tamale pie.

In a food processor or blender, combine cooked kidney beans with garlic, cumin and chili peppers for a delicious spread that can be used as a dip or sandwich filling.

Make a pot of chili, the hearty Mexican soup that traditionally features kidney beans.

Make tacos with a vegetarian twist by using kidney beans in place of ground meat.

So put on your thinking hats and come out with your version of cooking Rajma.

Coming to the rules:

  • Come up with a recipe that has Rajma/Kidney beans as one of the main ingredients.
  • Email me the link to your post on or before October 31st, 2009.
  • Please make the dishes Vegetarian; cheese & eggs are allowed.
  • Include a link in your post to this announcement and to Indira's site (themahanandi.org).
  • If you have recipes that are already posted, repost and include a link to this announcement and Indira’s site.
  • Use of Logo is optional, feel free to use it.
  • Non-bloggers can email me your recipe along with the picture of the dish.
  • Email me at divyablogs[AT]gmail{DOT}com with the following information.
  1. Name
  2. Entry Name
  3. Entry URL
  4. Picture of your creation in any size.

You can find the roundup : here

30 comments:

  1. Hi Divya. U have chosen a wonderful ingredient for this event. Infact, just the other day I realized I haven't cooked rajma in a while and should soon do so. When I do, I will send it over for your event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kidney beans are a favorite of my daughter and I... I hope I can participate in this event :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice. I will send something over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice, I love cooking with this bean. Count me in for this JFI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. I just cooked from Rajma to use up later. Will try to send something in for the event. Happy hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favt bean.. delicious event..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have long time wish to try rajma masala,
    will try and send through :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would surely participate, haven't posted anything on Rajma till now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this...glad we willcome to know so many dishes with this thru ur event..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely choice, will send my entries soon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love rajma, i hav eonly made one or two curries with it.
    If i make something new surley will send your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice choice divya, one of my fav beans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice theme
    Will definitely send something

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time here. You have a beautiful and neat blog! Love your template! Following you..
    And oh, count me in for the event. Will send my recipe soon!
    Pls do drop by mine when you find sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them... Rajma is lying in my store for sometime... will cook it up soon & post it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear,

    http://www.kitchentantra.com/2009/09/plagiarism-updated.html

    Malar

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear,

    http://www.kitchentantra.com/2009/09/plagiarism-updated.html

    Malar

    ReplyDelete
  18. pls see this link

    http://sashiga.blogspot.com/2009/10/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a new food blogger .I am really excited about all this .It is new to me .I will send my entry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi ..Thanks a lot... its very long since i blogged for an event.. i will be there!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Divya,got a recipe just for you..will send it across soon.happy hosting

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Divya,
    I found your Blog thru the "Rajma" hosting logo on Sri's post. You have an interesting blog. Thanks for hosting this event. Iam send you my entry soon.
    Sheetal

    ReplyDelete
  23. Divya,
    One request. I wish to put the JFI:Rajma logo on my blog. COuld you please let me how to do it? Iam new to the blogging world. Please forgive my ignorance.
    Thanks.
    Sheetal

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi am a new blogger and got to know about your site from a2z of vegetarian cuisine who has sent you a lovely recipe.you have an wonderful page here, will add you to my list. wish to send my entry too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...