When Srivalli announced the challenge for the month as Gulab jamuns I was pretty excited, since it is one of my favorite sweets and I have never tried it from scratch. Srivalli suggested three ways to make the jamuns. I chose Indo's way and the gulab jamuns turned out great- soft and juicy.
Ingredients (from Indo)
4 litres whole milk
1/2 kg maida (all purpose flour)
1 tbsp curd (yogurt)
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups ghee
2 litres of sugar
To Make Khova
1. In a wide mouthed heavy bottom pan add the milk and heat it in a medium flame. (add a couple of stainless steel spoons into the milk to avoid burning)
2. Reduce the milk for 3-4 hours till the milk solidifies and becomes thick.
3. Whip together yogurt and baking soda
4. To the khova add the flour and yogurt mixture and knead till it forms a pliant dough. (make sure not to add too much flour, just enough flour to make the khova pliant)
4. Make 3/4 inch diameter balls and set aside
Prepare sugar syrup
1. In a pan add the sugar and just enough water to cover the sugar. Heat till it comes to a boil.
2.Squeeze the half of the lemon (this is to avoid sugar crystals). Set aside.
1. Heat the ghee and deep fry the balls, adding a few at a time till golden brown.
2. Cool the balls and soak them in the sugar syrup.
3. Let sit for a few hours.
These yummy gulab jamuns are off to Srivalli's Indian Cooking Challenge