Jun 24, 2008

Karuveppillai / Curry leaves chutney

Curry leaves occupy a chief position in almost all Indian dishes..They are small leaves which give enormous flavor to the dishes and also have great medicinal uses..These tiny leaves are used mostly in seasoning any dish..It helps in relieving from constipation, nausea, helps in hair growth, allays body heat and also cures skin irritations..

I hardly get the curry leaves from the stores here as they are not too fresh and good..When my dad had come from India amma had sent some dried curry leaves and also curry leaf powder..This can be frozen and used..I made this curry leaf chutney using those leaves and it was a variation from the noraml coconut chutney..It tastes good with idlies, dosas and rice.

Ingredients

Curry leaves - 1 1/2 cup

Red chillies - 3

Garlic - 2

Grated coconut - 1/4 cup

Ginger - 1 /2 inch

Urad dhall,toor dhall,channa dhall - 1 tblspn each

Asafoetida powder - 1 pinch

Tamarind extract - 1 teaspoon

Mustard seed - 1 teaspoon

Oil - 1 spoon

Salt to taste

Directions

In a low flame,dry roast the curry leaves until they turn crispy and set aside.Also roast the dhalls,red chillies,coconut,asafoetida,garlic and ginger together..Grind all these along with the curry leaves, salt and tamarind extract coarsely..In a vessel heat some oil and add mustard seeds..Once they start spluttering, add the ground mixture..Add required amount of water and bring it to a boil..Simmer until the oil seperates from the mixture and seen along the sides..

Serve with idly, dosa or rice..

Am sending this off to Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Kalyn

And also to Spicy Fiery Chutney event.

28 comments:

  1. I love karuveppillai chutney . I too have karuvepillai podi at home.Love to eat with Idli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this chutney, mom does for Rice Kanji, looks tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious chutney, very nice recipe too. Looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good, must taste yummy with rice!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i never heard of curry leaves chutney before. nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never heard of curry leaves chutney before. nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my hubby likes curry leaves very much. thxs for the receipe...good and healthy traditinal receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This chutney is just the perfect thing for me, Divya! I simply adore karuveppillai chutney! Will try this out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice recipe Divya,I love the smell of Curry leaves.We don't get here but MIL had send dried ones and me too have kept frozen.This chutney sounds too good.Will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, karivepilai we get here is not good and fresh.. Your chutney looks delicious, Divya! I can imagine the taste with Idli/dosa.. hmm, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yum! Good variation. I have tasted the shop bought version. Glad to have the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have made only the powdered version of curry leaves - never tried Chutney. Bookmarked this one to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep hearing about curry leaves, but I do wish I could taste them, or even better, find some to grow in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a delicious chutney, Divya! looks so colroful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. luv ur chutney and also the description...my mom too does this but without adding garlic....its good and can be stored for long ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Divya..lovely colour!..and goes so well with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the smell of fresh curry leaves. Am sure your chutney would taste great with rice too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chutney is looking great. I love curry leaves very much and can't do without them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We normally make only thuvaiyal with curry leaves...chutney is also a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy chutney divya ... can imagine myself diggin into it with an idli piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this chutney..perfect for thayir sadam.Its been long since i made this.I am growing a curry leaves plant..hoping to get leaves from it and do this...in about 2 years ..:D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this chutney..perfect for thayir sadam.Its been long since i made this.I am growing a curry leaves plant..hoping to get leaves from it and do this...in about 2 years ..:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bet tastes yummy.. my nananmma makes it

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmm, that looks very good. I like to make a lot of dhal as my daughter does not like meat or dairy. This chutney would be so nice with her lentils and rice and veggies. Thanks for the beautiful entry.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's always curry leaves at the indian groceries I frequent but are sold in big batches. This seems like a great use for a whole lot of it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...