Mar 3, 2010

Thakkali Rasam

It has been a week since I cooked something at home! Due to all the shifting and moving, I had hardly anything left in my pantry and I had no time to cook :(
Time to set up my kitchen and start making some comfort food! With nothing interesting to post, I found this thakkali rasam in my drafts. I know this is not a special recipe but it surely is a comforting and soothing recipe. This recipe was passed on to me from my grandma. Please forgive the picture!


Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves - a few
Green chillies - 2
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

For the tempering
Ghee/Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Hing/Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Dried red chillies - 2
Curry leaves few
Black peppercorns - around 10 in number
Salt to taste

Directions
Grind the pepper corns, garlic,green chillies, curry leaves and jeera into a course mixture. Alternatively you could pound this to a coarse paste using a pestle and mortar.

Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about five minutes and peel the skin. Run the tomatoes in the mixer/blender to get a thick tomato mixture. Add the hot water used for blanching the tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt to this tomato mixture.

Do the tempering using all the ingredients listed. Once the mustard and jeera start spluttering, add the coarse ground dry mixture and fry for a minute. Take care it does not burn.

Bring the tomato mixture back to the stove and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat as soon as it boils. Pour the tempering over it and mix well. Adjust salt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Serve with some hot rice!

Sending this to Cooking Basics Event hosted by Mahimaa.

30 comments:

  1. Ada! Rasam! I'd like to drink it off the bowl! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suffering from cold..;please pass me this rasam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouthwatering...I could just smell it through my hungry stomach I guess...well made

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove thakkali rasam.Perfect to have during those no-vegetables-no-time days..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you settle down well. The rasam looks mouth watering

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish i had thios rasom with plain hot tice. Drool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have never tried this thakkali rasam in my kitchen but my mom use to prepare it in different way! urs looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy and delicious rasam.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi...thakali rasam is more of a comfort food for me and i just love it. everytime i make it i get home sick too...thanks for haring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the new kitchen! Hooray!

    Family recipes are so special... I can just imagine the wonderful aromas from this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paati's recipes are always the best.. simple & comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy, delicious and totally comforting.

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love rasam, its super easy to make n very satisfying too. Nice click Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that indeed is a comforting dish. love Rasam and this one looks healthy and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rasam in any form any day is OK with me..nice recipe..

    Divya, Im hosting the home remedies series this month, would you like to send an entry..any simple remedy?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely very comforting and soothing!!! So how is your new place???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sure this is a comfort food.. happy settling down !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Granny recipes are always treasure! Should be aromatic and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. super.. i haven't received any rasam recipe. so this will be useful thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Divya!! Have heard a lot about this rasam, I love rasams and will surely this out!

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...