Mar 8, 2010

A peek into my breakfast!

I wanted to post something today, but I had nothing in my drafts. So I just wanted everyone to have a peek into what I have for most of my breakfasts. Apart from the bread toasts, regular cereals and the authentic Indian breakfasts (reserved for weekends!) this humble oatmeal has been a regular one in my breakfast menu these days.

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper ~ Adelle Davis

Though the oatmeal sounds bland and tasteless, I recently discovered that there are fun ways to pep up a normal oatmeal and make it exciting.

The following is one such oatmeal I prepared for my breakfast today. The picture does not show any of the ingredients. But read ahead to see what is hidden in my yummy oatmeal!

In the mix!

Old fashioned oats - 1/2 cup (I used Quaker old fashioned oats)
Water - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/3 cup
Banana - 1/2
Flax seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Any granola - 1 tablespoon (I used Mango fruit Passion Granola from Trader Joes)
Peanut butter - 1/2 teaspoon (I used Trader Joes unsalted PB)

Directions
In a saucepan/pot, bring the milk and water together. Add the oatmeal and bring it to a boil. Simmer and add sliced or smashed banana. Stir continuously so that the oatmeal does not stick.
The oatmeal should be done in two minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the granola. At this point you can add in toppings you like. I then sprinkled some flax seeds on top.
Before you are about to enjoy the oatmeal stir in half a teaspoon of peanut butter so that it melts in the warmth of the oatmeal.

Serve warm!! Makes a great wholesome and exciting breakfast!!

I know this post might seem weird with all the strange ingredients in the oatmeal. I was skeptical in the beginning to add stuff like banana and peanut butter in my oatmeal. But now I absolutely love this breakfast!

Do try this and let me know. It has the goodness of bananas, flaxseed, oats and the protein from peanut butter!
Sending this to JFI:Breakfast hosted at Veggie Platter and started by Indira.
Looks out for more exciting ways to prepare oatmeal!!

How do you like your oatmeal??

38 comments:

  1. good and healthy breakfast!! hey I am hosting my first event..plz check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I add PB & Brown sugar to my oatmeal too and love it. This looks more charged than usual - what a great idea to add granola & flax seeds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat a fantastic breakfast to start the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very appealing...Always have the Quaker oats with bananas…will try out this way..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and healthy breakfast..ur recipe sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy breakfast. You can add fresh berries as topping too, colorful and tasty. Apart from oatmeal, I like muesli mix with oats, raisins and favorite nuts for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and healthy breakfast.I love the addition of seasonal fruit and nuts also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a healthy way to start your day!
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that's a healthy b'fast you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol...thats a interesting combination breakfast..

    ReplyDelete
  11. interesting breakfast with all the goodness..yummyy

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely way to start your day with a power breakfast..too good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that's a very healthy way to start your day!!!
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can never eat this, my mom always eat this and she used to tell me you don't know what is good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey hi divya how have you been.its so true..oatmeal normally is bland but then its healthy and combining ingredients makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healthy one Divya..adding flax seeds is new!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Healthy and different combination with flaxseeds and peanut butter

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's a simple & healthy breakfast.Interesting combo

    ReplyDelete
  19. THats a good one to kick start the day, dear...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am oats person but only savory version! Very different!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oatmeal breakfast looks so yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice one.. we also have oats almost everyday.. But haven't tried with granola or PB.. u can also try adding cinnamon , walnuts, cut apples n banana to the cooked oats..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Dhivya, First time here. Oatmeal breakfast looks healthy !! though I'm not a very big fan of it. When you find sometime do drop @ http://sashirecipes.com.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice quote,breakfast should be very filling.I like my oatmeal with bananas and berries :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very healthy breakfast. Your version makes it more appetizing. Love that proverb very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow lovely and healthy breakfast!!! An Award is waiting for U on Khaugiri:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello DIvya..
    how r u doing?U know right..India is so busy with festives and especially functions..Hope u like the new place..Oats is always my fav breakfast..Good one DIvi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey thats really healthy breakfast. Hope I missed many of your post.. The thakali rasam looks awesome wish I could get 1 cup now.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I too have oats most days... but I never tried adding peanut butter... must try soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...