Mar 29, 2010

Oven roasted/ Baked Chickpeas

This is one healthy and tasty snack I recently discovered. Though I have used my oven a lot for baking cakes, cookies and muffins, I have never ever thought of roasting chickpeas until I saw it here. It was so delicious and I am planning to try the same method using other beans as well. I used a little oil in this recipe to make it crunchy, but it can be made fat-free as well.

Ingredients
Chickpeas - 1 can (or) 1 cup soaked overnight
Olive Oil - 2 teaspoons (Any vegetable oil can be used)
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste

The above ingredients are the ones I used for the recipe. It is quite fliexible. You can use any masala you like. Some variations include: garlic powder, garlic salt, garam masala, italian herbs seasoning, onion powder, poultry seasoning, chaat masala etc.
Adjust the amount of spice and masala based on the quantity of chickpeas you use.

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F

If using fresh chickpeas, soak the chickpeas overnight. Drain the water before using. If using the canned variety, drain the water and since it already contains some salt, reduce the salt accordingly.

Before Roasting
In a small bowl, mix the oil along with the spices/masala and the salt.

In a baking dish, take the chickpeas, and pour the spice-oil mixture. With a spoon mix the beans so that the spice coats all the beans evenly.

Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 - 40 minutes. Once in every 10 minutes, keep stirring the chickpeas so that it gets roasted evenly.

After Roasting
Keep checking in between if it is done as oven times vary. if you want the chickpeas to be a little chewy remove it at around 30 minutes.

Store in an airtight container.

Sending this to Sunday Snacks:Healty Snacks started by Pallavi and hosted by me.

57 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous and healthy snack option

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very healthy snack indeed! Chickpeas look crunchy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ,Divya a very healthy wholesome snack indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a healthy snack..looks fabulous, Divya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Divya, real innovative, never thought of using oven for baking chickpeas. Will surely try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow wonderful snack.. never tried baking chickpeas.. very healthy choice

    ReplyDelete
  7. சூப்பர்ப்...பார்க்கும் பொழுதே சாப்பிட தோணுது...கலக்கல்...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - how gorgeous! Looks fantastic - it would be great as a quick chat with chopped onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Will try it sometime - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worth a try... I m sure it will b yummy grabbing them at tea...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good. i love baked snacks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..this is a pretty creative idea.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! very healthy snack..nice click..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Divya, I'v sent my entries for your March events "Tried & Tasted", Sunday Healthy Snack and Healing Food - Spinach..Hope you got them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been on my to do list for long....sure a guilt free snack!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Divya pls collect ur award from my blog dear

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can munch it anytime, definitely a prefect snack..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a doubt DIvya, canned chickpeas are already cooked. If I use dried chickpeas, would I not need to cook them after soaking them and draining the water?

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing crispy, healthy and quicker. will definitely give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a very healthy ans wholesome snack dear....
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Healthy n easy to make,nice way to indulge in chickpeas.Yummy yum.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this one is really a healthy one..good recipe

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never ate roasted chick pea. Looks so so crunch delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect and healthy snack. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love roasted chickpeas!! I'm so excited to fix your recipe with the gorgeous spices!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally healthy and tasty snack, looks super tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow.. healthy & crispy .. looks excellant..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too made a similar one and I have it my blog too Divya...the chickpeas look perfect and crispy :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely idea! thank you for sharing the recipe Divya!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Divyaa...this looks erally great..love to taste it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Baking Chickpeas..interesting recipe..Will try out soon..great pic..

    ReplyDelete
  31. good idea to bake chickpeas for a snack...so healthy and tasty...

    also, hope you got my entry for the Healing Foods - Spinach event!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I bake these all the time...we all love them..so healthy and tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thats so easy and quick. pls pick your award from my blog...
    http://www.inspired-recipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow !!...kurkure chanas.. sounds intersting and yummy !!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is my hubby's favorite,i am searching for the recipe,thanks for sharing dear.looks Tempting

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wanna munch on some chickpeas... they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy New year Divya , this is really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  38. these look absolutely divine! the perfect snack.

    ReplyDelete
  39. you know what else you can do with chickpeas? make chocolate hummus :) http://incrediblecrunchyflavor.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/chocolate-hummus/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm going to go try this... RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  41. just made this with some olive oil and Trader Joes everyday seasoning - omg I don't think I will ever buy bagged again - thanks so much who knew it would be this easy!

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...