May 4, 2009

Ragi Malt with jaggery

Finger-millet or ragi is widely grown in arid areas of Asia and Africa. Finger millet can be ground and cooked into cakes, puddings or porridge. It is a storehouse of protein, calcium and fiber. Ragi flour is made into flatbreads, including thick, leavened dosa and thinner, unleavened roti. Ragi grain is malted and the grains are ground. This ground flour is consumed mixed with milk, boiled water or yoghurt.

Inspired by her and her, I tried a different recipe of Ragi Malt. I used jaggery instead of sugar. This drink can be had as an alternative to coffee and tea and also for breakfast. It keeps you full and is nutritious too. This jaggery flavored nutritious ragi malt can be had either hot or cold.
Ingredients
Ragi/ Finger millet flour - 2 tablespoons
Milk - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Jaggery (powdered)- 2 teaspoons
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch (optional)
Directions
To the ragi flour, add little cold water and mix to form a smooth paste without any lumps.
In a vessel, bring the milk and water to boil. Add the ragi paste slowly to the boiling milk. Keep stirring with a spoon in order to prevent lump formation.
Add the jaggery powder and cardamom powder. Cook on low flame for about two minutes. The mixture thickens. Remove fro heat and serve hot or cold!
Jaggery can also be replaced with sugar. It can also be prepared with milk alone instead of adding water to get a thick drink.
Also check out a similar Ragi recipes.
Ragi porridge with buttermilk
Ragi Puttu/Finger millet cakes
Sending this ragi malt to 15 minute cooking hosted by Mahimaa and to Gramathu Kaimanam hosted by Shama.
Sending this to JFI:Ragi hosted by Madhuram and started by Indira.

45 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I'd never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. This is new to me..would like to try it out :) Packed with nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amma made them with jaggery too. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice pic divs. adding jaggery sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this recipe :)
    yummy and healthy !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raagi malt in silver tumbler with red background looks rich and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love raggi but the salty version, pic is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the twist of adding jaggery to the malt. It looks yummy. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the twist of adding jaggery to the malt. It looks yummy. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good one divya..had seen at maahima's and wanted to try it since then...looks so good boosting with lots of energy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy and delicious drink..Nice clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious ragi malt divya...healthy drink!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a very healthy drink and nutritious

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely healthy one dear..thank you for sending it to the event

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting drink.I always avoid ragi but the drink looks too inviting and is definitely healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neer had this orheard about this, looks real healthy and yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Divya, this is a healthy and a n authentic drink... this is usually given to us during summer and my grandma has tons and tons of stories to tell how they make Ragi flour and other stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  18. before my marriage my mom made it for me... i was very think back then and as it is very nutritious, she made ragi porridge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love ragi malt but HAVENT tried with jaggery .. very very good for summer

    ReplyDelete
  20. this used to be my favorite drink while growing up!! Mom says that I pretty much grew up with this drink :) Lovely picture Divya!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats a healthy drink! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Healthy and nourishing drink. Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Divya..This is my favourite breakfast drink.
    You can also try adding palm candy(panam kalkandu).

    Love the Red background and flower's.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't had ragi malt in so long but always have ragi flour on hand. The jaggery must make it all the more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Divya,thats such an innovative drink..and yes healthy too...would be a hit with kids !! Thanks Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used to have this during pregnancy!:D love it even now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya
      I am 30 weeks pregnant. is it good to have during pregnancy?
      Please advice.
      Thanks

      Delete
  27. Hummm very nice recipe, looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks delicious, am definitely gonna try tis one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmm. I tasted this before. looks so good and healthy Divya!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have heard so much about this. Very healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very new kinda recipe. I have not ever used Ragi before. & lovely picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks delicious & healthy ....will try it ...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks delicious divya first time here...lovely blog with variety of collctions dear...keep visiting

    ReplyDelete
  34. Would you believe if I said that I was looking for this one! My mom used to make it, and I for one loved it. Sound pretty simple and straight forward. Healthy too.
    And yes, I am back and feels good to be back too :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the look of it Divya..pretty simple n healthy right..But dunno y I've never been into ragi yet..have to..:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi,

    Managed to stumble into ur blog when searching for Kara kuzhambu and have found some wonderful new recipes and ideas..thank u :-)
    Mi

    ReplyDelete
  37. That's a sweet variation to the usual ragi malt, Divya.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...