Apr 20, 2009

Beetroot Poriyal

After the carrot poriyal, am here with a simple beetroot poriyal recipe. It is an easy one to make except the chopping of the beetroot. When i was a kid, i used to have this poriyal with curd rice. Loved the pink colored curd rice! 

Beets are very nutritious  and knowing its health benefits, I try to include this atleast once in two weeks in our diet.

Ingredients

Beet Root – 2 
Red Chillies – 2 
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Onion – 1 medium sized
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
Bengal gram dhal / Split peas - 2 tablespoons
Coconut gratings – 2 tablelspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon

Directions

Remove the skin fro the beetroot and chop it. Soak the split peas in a little water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Chop the onion and red chillies.

In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dhall. Once they start spluttering, add the red chillies, curry leaves and onion. Fry till the onion turns translucent. Then add the chopped beetroot and the soaked chickpeas. Season with salt. Add half cup of water and close with a lid. Cook until the beetroots turn tender. Finally add the coconut gratings and mix well.

You can skip the splitpeas if you dont like. However it adds a different flavor to the poriyal.

Serve warm with rice and dhall!

40 comments:

  1. Nice recipe for Beet poriyal Divya... I havent tried the chopped ones yet, but tastes great! Will soon try this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav Poriyal Divya.. looks tempting & nice colour..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and I am crazy about Beets poriyal, chutney etc... Looks tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so good Divya! Nice color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice Divya. After I saw your carrot poriyal, I made carrot-broccoli poriyal and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great with even plain rice Divya, love this sweet spicy curry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beets poriyal n curd is my fav combo..:)..Simple n yume one dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice recipe Divya.Nice color. And also healthy dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. healthy recipe again. good one divs. me not a fan of beets. i like them as halwa... but for it's health benefits, it's worth having.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one divya, looks colorful and healthy, i have tried the grated one but never chopped, will def give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple but yet healthy..i love these sorts of simple side dishes..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i too make in the same way,have posted it too....beet is my fav veggie...delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this with rice, when i was home we kids used to love it as the rice turned pink incolour ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great recipe Divya :) I love the combo of vegetables and lentils :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy recipe...enna poriyala pottu thakara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the longest time beetroot poriyal (thoran for me) was the perfect side to rice and pulissery.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these poriyal recipes, Divya. And the beetroot sounds unusual but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first visit to your blog...Looks interesting...I never tried with the chopped ones...I guess its a nice side dish for sambar rice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly the same method we make at home. I know we belong to the same place. Love that combination with curd rice, as u said:)
    Yummy poriyal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely beet root poriyal..My grandma makes beetroot poriyal almost like this..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very healthy & nutricious. Nice poriyal. Tempting color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was going to buy some beetroot today - now I see this I wish that I did. Looks really tasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poriyal looks simple and delicious Divya.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a kid I used to love this with curd rice, and watch the curd rice turn pink (people at the table didnt think that was nice though! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the vibrant color, looks yumm too

    ReplyDelete
  26. haaaa one of my favorite vegetable looks mouthwatering divya

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love beetroot poriyal..I also try to make it by grating the beetroot..

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like beetroot too.. but don't buy it often since my husband doesn't like it. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is the recipe i hv been looking for.. we dnt really know how to make beetroots into a vegetable.. mostly we boil it n add it to salads...thanks for putting this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...