Apr 13, 2009

My Quick Breakfast Smoothie

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. But what do you do on days when you are in a hurry to get to work or school and busy packing lunches and you have absolutely no time to fix up a breakfast? Get a bowl of cereal filled with loads of sugar? I guess that is the case with many.

I do have a bowl of cereal once in a while. Elaborate breakfasts are reserved for the weekends. On weekend mornings, we have a bowl of oatmeal with nuts and fruits. Our recent addiction is this quick breakfast smoothie filled with the goodness of oats, nuts and fruits. Yes this smoothie contains oats!

Just add all the ingredients in a blender and blend to the required consistency. And the smoothie gets ready in minutes. You can add ingredients depending on your taste and liking. It contains no sugar. it gets its natural sweetness from the fruits and dates.

The smoothie is also good-to-go. Just fill in a bottle of this delicious smoothie and you can carry it along with you and have it any time during the day!

Here is my version!

Ingredients (Makes 2 tall glasses)

Orange - 1
Banana - 1
Kiwi - 1
Soaked almonds - 5
Dates - 4
Flax seeds - 1 teaspoon
Oats - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup

Directions

Peel the orange and kiwi. Chop the dates and banana roughly. Add all the ingredients in a blender and pulse it for about 3 to 4 times. You can increase or decrease the amount of milk to get the desired consistency. I added orange and kiwi as I had them on hand.

Feel free to use any fruit you like. Other options include oat bran, wheat bran, peanut butter, honey etc.

Enjoy this nutritious and power packed smoothie!!

Sending this quick smoothie to Single serving Recipes hosted by Sahaja

15 minute cooking hosted by Mahimaa

Eating with the seasons hosted at Maninas

RD for Summer hosted at Chandrabhaga

WYF:Breakfasts hosted by EC

Am also sending the following drinks for The RD for Summer event!

Blackberry Smoothie

Mango Lassi

Tangy Panaka

இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்!!



44 comments:

  1. Wow Divya, such a healthy and delicious smoothie:)pic looks really gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick and healthy, love the thought of flax and oats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That smoothie packs so much nutrition. Never thought of adding oats to a smoothie, does it alter the texture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. power smoothie... I like smoothies... But I always wonder if it keep you full for the whole of morning... should try this out and see for myself... love the addition of oats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfort smoothie..Healthy Breakfast...Great way to start the day..

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy, quick smoothie..looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked that you added oats and flax seeds as well. Plus nuts too. Complete meal in one and quick to make. Nice one, Divya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Divya! Thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is terrific! I ABSOLUTELY love Indian Cuisine. It is very similar to Southeast Asian cuisine, so I find a sense of comfort with it. I'll definitely look into your recipes page. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indhu, due to the addition of oats this smoothie keeps you full for 3 to 4 hours.
    Pavani,the oats gives a thick consistency to the smoothie. Doesnt alter the texture much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breakfast in a glass! I don't mind oats and fruit this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a great one Divya..:)..Everything in one glass..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ! the smoothie looks super easy to whip out & super healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smoothies are the best! Refreshing with no guilt..I like the addition of oats in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Puthanzu nal vazthukal! That's definitely an interesting smoothie - I very rarely have cereals or smoothies for breakfast.

    I prefer some heavy duty breakfast with a lot of carb to keep me going till lunch.But the oats in this should take care of that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Divya..lovely n healthy..thanks for coming over to my blog..its literally dead most of the time..and I did see abt ur aval payasam, floating around the web world..my!!!..why alone the same snap at different places..hummm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healthy way to start the morning! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Real quick wholesome fruity breakfast:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love breakfasts such as these...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Puthaandu Nalvazhthukkal to you too :-) Smoothies seem to be the perfect way to get a good breakfast into me. Your combo sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. En inniya Puthandu naal Vazthukal Div!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a very nice idea to avoid lumps of sugar with oats. Smoothie looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Divya, love the almonds and bananas in the shake. I gotta try it with soymilk.

    ReplyDelete
  23. woo its indeed a nice breafast smoothie..looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very healthy smoothie :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the smoothie! I am a smoothie fan and this is perfect for me! Looks great and energetic Divya! A very happy new year to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a different combination I have not tried Divya. Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This will def keep you going throughout the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Divya, I just saw your "Paneer Paratha" picture here. Check out:

    http://recipe.akanshaz.com/?p=265

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow..A healthy ,rich n delicious smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Puthandu vaazhthukal divya. Hope you had a good celebration. That smoothie looks so filling and healthy - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love all quick fix breakfast items! Love the smoothie, still better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely Smoothie... Looks gr8! Thanks for sending it to my event!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Quick n easy! And very healthy too with fruits and flaxseeds. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a healthy way to start the day. I love your blog. Do visit mine, when you get a chance

    www.kaipakkuvam.wordpress.com

    Thanks,
    Indu

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Divya ,today I was looking at your smoothies they are awesome.Super easy and super healthy.Would surely try them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...