Aug 27, 2009

Baked Homemade French Fries !

Who doesnt like french fries!! Especially when they are of reduced guilt. I would never say this is guilt-free but theses are certainly a healthier option compared to the deep fried ones. I hear someone saying how can you make french 'fries' without 'frying' them. I definitely assure that these were a close replica of the normal deep fried ones crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I made an Indian kinda seasoning with Indian spices. They turned out perfect and made a great meal with homemade burgers! I added spices and chilli powder to suit our taste, they can be varied according to your liking.


Ingredients

Russet Potatoes - 2 large ones (or any potato variety)
Salt to taste
Spices (I used coriander powder, chilli powder and cumin powder) - 1 teaspoon each
Oil - 2 tablespoons


Directions
Wash the potato. I left the skin on. You can peel it if you wish. Slice them into wedges of about half inch thick. Take care that they are about the same thickness so that they get baked evenly.

Bring a big pot of water to a boil and drop the sliced potatoes for about 4 minutes. They should be half-cooked. Remove them and pat dry with a paper towel.

In a bowl mix together the salt, oil and spices. Coat the potatoes evenly with the spice mixture by rolling them around with your hands.

Preheat oven to 450 degree F.



Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spread the potatoes evenly in a single layer.

Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and toss and turn the potatoes. Bake for another 10 minutes, until you see the potatoes beginning to brown.

Serve warm with ketchup!

Also do check out my
Oven Baked Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Fries


Sending this Oven baked french fries to Cooking for Kids: Evening Snacks started by Sharmi and being hosted this month in Dil Se..
And Sending this to Cook for Yourself event and
Food For 7 stages of life:Kids initially started by Radhika .

53 comments:

  1. Oil less french fries.. looks really yummy & crispy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love french fries! And I love the baked version too. Yours look incredibly crispy and scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divs..loved the Indian twist to french fries..yum yum..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really yummy and delicious.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - I love french fries... Yours looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Par cooking them is such a good idea, Divya. Cuts down baking time tremendously. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been tagged dear...pls do visit life today

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,mouthwatering,good one Divya :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks Awesome Divya! Nice dinner combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baked french fries!!!!! too good to believe..
    will definitely try..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm... mouth watering recipe Divya.. looks perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. looking good..will try out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the baked fries...the potato doesn't get a bad name this way...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Baked ones, very good idea! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely guilt free fries, looks prefect Divya..

    ReplyDelete
  16. woww..this looks amazing Divzz...i loved this indian version...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Divya,
    I just love french fries. But I prepare it a little differently, first boil it till half cooked and then toss it in oil till crispy. :)
    I never thought of this baked French fries, this is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice platter Dhivya...looks so good...love your combination of spices :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baking is the best way to devour french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so yummy and baking fries can eat so much that too guiltless... the platter is really tempting me to eat right away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. UUM.. Awesome. These are very tempting.Guess I should try it soon this coming week

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great, you get the awesome taste, but much healthier, they look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I am all for health Divya...and oven seems to come to the respite...will try this and now i am thinking banana/plantain chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. French fries without deep frying is a great idea..:).Who wouldn't want to indulge in those..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have nominated you for Kreativ Blogger Award. Kindly Check my blog.

    http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. delicious dear!!
    kindly collect ur award from my blog dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very good idea and they look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love french fries. At times I add them between two slices of bread with cheese spread and quick sandwich is ready. If I make them for movies then I really don't know how much I am able to eat them. You gave a healthier option. Will surely try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the idea of baking. Great munchers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My diet is thanking you sooo much for these :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi divya,

    I do make this at home...but have try with all masala...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am a big fan of McD's fries..then I tried some store bought fries too.. too much fat.. this looks simple and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the pic:)And yes, who doesn't love fries?!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have a award and a tag waiting for u in my blog, Please pick it up here:
    http://sharmis-passions.blogspot.com/2009/09/choco-cornflakes-pudding-award-and-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. I make mine similarly but with different spices, loved your take on baked fries, especially with Indian spices,looks yum !

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks so good especially with the burger.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow.. french fries and baked.. bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  38. was reading your comments chain 2 days ago.. and got to know from tat..
    its a good mutual feel knowing people from Anna Univ..
    BTw.. lovely home made fries.. need to try them...
    Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Healthy frensh fries...now what could beat that...yum yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  40. Guilt free fries? I'm in! And hope to be making these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. those look really good. my mom makes them a similar style.

    ReplyDelete
  42. These were good. I put salt, pepper, seasoning salt and a parmasean mix and it was really good! I had to broil mine because they weren't cooking very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome, to say the least! Have you ever tried them with garlic powder? Over at Kutcharitaville Cafe puts it on their homemade fries that they serve with their goody goody, "the World's Greatest Cheese Burgers". I worked there back when I was going to UNCA, that was back in the 80's, we sold tons and tons of those homemade fries. I can taste them now, to bad I live 2000 miles from that place.

    love your posts,.......Charles Williams

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...