Jan 6, 2012

Trader Joe's Finds: Fig Butter & Pumpkin Butter

I had recently proclaimed my love for Trader Joes here! Living just a block away from TJ's,  I visit the store very often and I love trying out different products. You never know what you might find there! They keep changing the stuff they carry every season and I always end up buying something new each time I go. The prices are great too! And hence, here is my new series called "TJ Finds"


I picked up these two fruit butters - Fig Butter and Pumpkin Butter during my last trip. Here is my review..

Fig Butter
Don't get confused by the name. The fig butter has no butter in it. This is what the bottle says: "To be a butter, a spread must contain more fruit than sugar.." This results in a wonderful very concentrated fig flavor. They taste delicious almost with anything. We had it on toasts, with crackers, with cheese and crackers, mixed into yogurt. I liked it with buttered toast the best!


Pumpkin Butter
I think pumpkin butter is a seasonal item in TJ's. I have found them on the shelves only during Fall. I try to stock them when I find them, because I absolutely adore these. They are not too sweet like jams and perfect on toasts, the way I like them. These can be used as a pastry filling, ice-cream topping!, mixed with yogurt, or mixed into cream cheese to make a very unique spread. The bottle also suggests, adding pumpkin butter to soups. I haven't tried this though.

You can find these fruit butters in the jam and preserves aisle. They cost $3.99 a bottle.

Have you tried pumpkin butter and fig butter? What is your favorite?

On another note, here is the review of the book, I just finished - "In the Convent of Little Flowers" by Indu Sundaresan. You should read it if you like short stories.


5 comments:

  1. I like the stores too and we had one quite close to home in Seattle but know in Dallas there is none and I heard they are going to open one soon.
    Will try the butters when the stores open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I like the sound of those butters. I don't particularly care for jams because they are too sweet so the butters just may be the perfect alternative to have on toast. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved everything Ive ever bought from Trader Joe's. Especially their desserts. Would love to try these butters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both looks fabulous, dunno whether we get the fig butter here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. that pumpkin butter/jam looks very interesting...love that orange colour :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...