Jan 25, 2012

Low fat Ulundha Vadai / Urad dal fritters

If you are looking for an authentic ulundha vadai / urad dal fritters, this is not the place! I was craving for some ulundha vadai and I did not want to give up my healthy eating by deep frying something. So I made these vadais using my kuzhi paniyaram making pan. They tasted equally delicious and this can be made in a matter of minutes if you have the batter ready. Makes a great accompaniment with your evening chai.


I followed the same ingredient list I use to make the regular ulundha vadais, except for the deep frying method and the hole in the center. I served the vadais with red bell pepper chutney instead of the coconut chutney.

Ingredients
Urad dal - 1 cup
Green chilly - 1 (grated or thinly sliced)
Coriander leaves - 1 sprig
Grated ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped onion - 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste

Instructions
Soak the urad dal in water for about 3 hours.
Drain the water and in a mixer/grinder, grind the urad dal into a very fine paste. Add very little water (1 to 2 tablespoons) if required while grinding.
When the batter is ready, mix in the other ingredients - green chillies, ginger, chopped onions and salt.
Heat the kuzhi paniyaram pan, and drizzle 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of oil in each hole. Fill with a spoonful of batter in each hole.
After a minute, using a spoon flip the vadais over to cook on the other side.
When the vadais start turning brown, remove them from the pan and serve with chutney of your choice.



This is my entry for day 3 in the 7 day blogging marathon! Check out the Blogging marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#12.

This is my entry to My Legume Love Affair #43 started by Susan and hosted this time at Chez Cayenne and Love for Lentils hosted by Sudha

30 comments:

  1. Love them...learnt from Valarmathi....feeling hungry now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempting and mouth watering recipe ,luv the low fat version...Drooling over the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great...makes for a yummy snack!....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute fritters :)

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like dosa batter paniayaram. so yummy. U made it healthy with less calorie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vadai look delicious and I love the color of the chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats such a healthy recipe dear... Will try it out soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice guilt free version of the regular ulunda vadai...

    ReplyDelete
  9. any thing low fat...gets bonus points!!..lovee these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really delicious and tasty low fat dish. I am really health conscious. I wish that i will bake it tonight. I hope that my family like it when i serve on dining table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy idea and picture is so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent low fat fritters,feel like munching some..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think i need to get the pan you used to make this healthy treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make this a lot.. and anything low fat is exciting

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have some batter now, sounds like a nice idea, will try :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cant skip visiting this post..Lov the low fat vadai idea..Thanks for sharing,divya

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it that you baked these instead of frying them. Thanks for another entry to My Legume Love Affair!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vadai/Paniyaram looks great! I wouldn't mind having the whole plate to myself! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a delicious idea. Should definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh...I ama drooling over these fritters. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice one ! I do with leftover Idli batter... the clicks are very tempting Divya ! Was nice doing the BM with you ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. when you told its low fat, i guessed it would be using kuzhipanniyaram, as i remember your one more dish using this.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...