May 8, 2008

Tamarind rice / Puliyodharai

This is an ultimate comfort food and can be prepared in minutes..I prepare this when I am in a hurry to prepare lunch and also when I am short of vegetables and other ingredients..It tastes best with potato fry or with chutnies.

                    

Ingredients

Rice - 2 cups
Chana dhall - 1 tablespoon(soaked in water for atleast 20 minutes)
Urad dhall - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida/hing - 1 pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Red chillies - 5 or as per spice level needed
Tamarind extract - from tamarind of size of 2 lemons
Garlic cloves - 3
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 6 spoons
Salt to taste

Directions

Cook the rice with the required quantity of water and fluff it so that the grains do not stick together.Add one spoon of oil to the rice and allow it to cool.
In a pan dry roast the fenugreek seeds and asafoetida and powder them.
In a vessel add the remaining oil,add the soaked channa dhall, urad dhall,mustard seeds..Once they start spluttering add the red chillies, chopped garlic,curry leaves and saute for a minute.Then add the tamarind juice followed by the pwdered fenugreek and asafoetida.Also add turmeric powder and required quantity of salt.Bring it to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes until the water evaporates and forms a thick mixture.
This mixture can be stored for about a week.
Mix it along with the rice and enjoy.

                       

Sending this to Weekend Herb blogging hosted this week by Laurie

19 comments:

  1. Did u use garlic in pulliyotharai? That is confort food Divya , looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quick Cham..I love garlic and so i use it in puliyodharai..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree wid cham, this is comfort food. looks yummyyy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too use garlic.can have puliyodharai any time.Looks yummy Divya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy tamarind rice,Divya! But adding garlic is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this one looks quick n easy.. me too a garlic fan.. we generally make puli ingi and then add it to plain rice.. its a task but urs looks quick..

    ReplyDelete
  7. whats exams buddy.. id its over.. hope they were good..and if its yet to happen all d best...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puliyodharai is my fav... Urs looks delish!... Mouthwatering recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make this when I am in a hurry too, except that I use MTR powder. I know I am very lazy...
    Your rice looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolute comfort food...nice idea to use garlic..must be yummy ,but can you store it for a long time if you use garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. Was looking for a rice idea for tomorrow's dinner. This just might be the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fave kind of dish, y'day I made Temple Pulihora from Sagari, got to try this next week!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. always a favorite - reminds me of picnics and good times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is always a part of our travel and also for a quick lunchbox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sound great, I am totally wowed by tamarind. Any dish that has this ingredient, you can be sure I will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...