Mar 31, 2008

Kalkandu Sadham / Misri Bhath

I was searching for some different rice recipe for the Microwave Easy Cooking Event..
My mom prepares this very well..This is one of my favorite which my mom prepares..
It is a quick to prepare and even more quicker in a microwave..I adopted the method from Mallika Badrinath's book..
Turned out super delicious..

          

Ingredients

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup
Powdered sugar candy ( kalkandu in tamil ) - 1 cup
Saffron - few strands
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 2 pinches
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Chopped cashews,almonds and raisins - 1 tablespoon
Ghee - 3 tablespoons

Directions

Wash rice and mix with the measured water and allow it to soak for 30 minutes.
Cook on micro High for 13 to 15 minutes in a closed bowl along with the milk until the rice gets cooked well.
Stir once and again micro High for 5 minutes.
Mix the rice along with the kalkandu, coconut, saffron, cardamom and one tablespoon ghee.
Again micro High for three minutes keeping the vessel opened.
In a plate mix the nuts, raisins and the remaining ghee and micro High for 3 minutes.
Add this to the rice and mix well.
Allow 3 minutes standing time..
You can also prepare this using sugar instead of the kalkandu..There is no much difference in the taste of the rice.
Delicious kalkandu sadham is ready.

This is my entry to Microwave Easy Cooking - Rice hosted by Srivalli and Rice Mela

24 comments:

  1. Usually i prepare as prasadam. Looks yummy Dhiv :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. Is it the same as akkaravadisal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kalkandu sadam very much.great entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey divya!kalkandu sadham looks great!where did u get kalkandu?looks so yummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful entry, Divya! We call it kalakanda in telugu. I never used to prepare rice though. Good one. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kalkandu sadham mmm in hollywood .
    nice entry.try to make sure after exams.
    Saritha

    ReplyDelete
  8. drooling here after reading the recipe..looks yummo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really special, Divya. Great job with the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice recipe divya...will be ideal as prasadam during festive occasions..

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks good..you know what, I too have the book and thought of making the same one..but couldn't ...good to have this in the party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice sweet entry. Ideal for prasadam. Never tried it. But your post is tempting me. I shall try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.....really delicious! Great entry.Is it similar to rice kheer?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't heard of this before...but it sure sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diyva,new to me, MW'd that too, wow..Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love kalkandu saadham.. thanks for this MW recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow ! looks super delicious. I'm drooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks very tempting Divya. Even though I have come across this recipe earlier, somehow I did not try it. I should try it, it's so easy using the microwave oven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dat looks so nice, Sweet entry Dhivya :) !! Nice pic..

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummyy sweet rice divyaaa, never added kalkanda ,very nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  21. seeing your kalkandam saadam, when i went to indian store, I was looking for those kalkandam, didnt get it this time, but they told it wud come on weekend, the payasam looks yummy:) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...