Apr 22, 2008

Greek clove cookies / Kourabiedes

This melt-in-your-mouth cookie is one the best cookies I have ever had..While I was searching for recipes with clove I landed upon several recipes for greek clove cookies and made my version tweeking the recipes a bit..They tasted really too good..The recipe called for brandy which I replaced with vanilla extract..They tasted best with tea..They are also called as Greek tea cakes..

               

Ingredients

Butter - 1/2 cup
Powdered sugar - 1/4 cup
All purpose flour/maida - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 1teaspoon
Ground cloves - 1 teaspoon
Mixture of powdered sugar and ground cloves

Directions

Soften the butter and mix it with the sugar in a large bowl.
Beat it till you get a creamy consistency.
Add the flour,vanilla,ground cloves and beat well until they are well mixed.
Cover and refridgerate for about 1 hour until it becomes firm.
Preheat the oven to 350 F
Shape the dough to one-inch balls
Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool completely.
Sprinkle the cookies with the mixture of powdered sugar and ground cloves..

This popular melt-in-your-mouth Greek cookie, Kourabiedes, is often served at festive holiday celebrations. The cookie is always sprinkled with powdered sugar and the top is either sprinkled with ground cloves or a whole clove is inserted in the top.

                                

Tips
To make these cookies softening butter is an important step..So not melt butter in the microwave as the cookies do not retain their shape..Instead, allow it to soften by rmoving it from the fridge and allowing it to stand for 30 to 45 minutes at room temperature..This yields perfect cookies..

             

This is my entry to Think Spice: Think Cloves hosted by Gretchen..

                                

26 comments:

  1. I love the twist, looking great must have tasted delicous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies looking delicious Dhivya.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cookies look so cute and delish Divya. :D

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice entry!bet it must have tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey this looks good,..canu send some,..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy! I love kourabiyedes. My mother in low is good at making them:) Hmm, maybe it's time to try out myself. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't they look like our very own Nankhatai? They look so crisp and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have not tasted clove in cookies, have to try this. Nice ones !

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a twist!.with clove!..looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummilicious crisp cookies.great entry. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cookies looks crisp and very delicious!!!thanxxx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, the cookies look so crisp and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great cookies to eat with tea girl! looks awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look so yummy, and with the clove twist must be tasting great too....

    ReplyDelete
  15. DV, great cookie ya! Shall surely try it some day...bookmarked it too! Tks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Divya ha ha , what a coincidence, I too was hunting for clove cookies and landed on ur mouthwatering cookies.This is perfect.Tempted to try out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting :) cloves must impart such a distinct flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kind of cookies without eggs. Will definitely update in my eggless cookies list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Divya, I just tagged you for your Top 10 Pics! Please visit my blog for details: http://azcookbook.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/top-10-pictures/

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the cookies divya with nice clove flavor

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seems wonderful and what a coincidence that Sunita has also made clove cookies for this event!

    ReplyDelete
  22. am not tooo fond of cloves u know except that they help me during toothaches... :) buts cookies look tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for this recipe! I love cookies with a butter/powder sugar base. as soon as I get my hands on some ground cloves I am trying these!

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...