Apr 3, 2008

Kovakkai / Tindora Masala

I found these Kovakkai in the Indian store and wanted to try them..Here is how I prepared it..It turned out really spicy and delicious..Served as a good side for rice.

           

Ingredients

Kovakkai / Tindora - 3 cups sliced into thin rounds
Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
Tomato - 1 finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Green chillies - 3
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin / Jeera powder - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urad dhall - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 3 spoons
Salt to taste

Directions

Wash and trim the ends of the kovakkai..
Slice them into circular pieces and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan, season with mustard, cumin seeds, split black gram and curry leaves.
Add onion and the chillies and saute till th onions turn translucent..
Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for one more minute.
Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn soft..
Then add the kovakkai and cover the vessel and cook on low flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
After it gets cooked well add the coriander powder, jeera powder,turmeric powder and salt.
Mix everything and cook again for 5 minutes until everything blends together..
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice and chapathis.

This is my entry to weekend Herb blogging hosted this week by Jugalbandi..

19 comments:

  1. never tried dondakaya(tindora) with tomato. I just add onions. Looks delicious, Divya! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought them jus yday :-) I like this vegetable...will try this one - ur way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm looks so tempting divya:))keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply love Tindora, no matter how its cooked. This is a very nice version Divya:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely treat..I love tindoras...its hard to find fresh ones..i mostly use frozen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tindora (Kovakkai), looks delicious Divya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Tindora....i love these...unfortunately we dont get this in Moscow...we oriyas prepare these with apoppyseed paste.The curry looks inviting Divya:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yum! I love tindora. Great recipe dear :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love tindora..this looks very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is my fav veggie and i love it any form this is a nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of our most Fav veg & makes a yummy dish! Will post my recipes soon of this veg...

    ReplyDelete
  12. new entry dear!!! looks great....fantastic healthy receipe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Divya, love kovakkai, but cutting it is so labor-intensive, I tend to usually skip it at the grocery store. Your lovely dish has inspired me to give it another try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Tindora anytime of the day. This is a good one to know apart from the regular fry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for your entry, dear divya.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many raves for this vegetable and I've never tasted it. I wonder if the Indian market has it here? It looks like maybe a relative of zucchini? Sounds delicious with the spices and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...