Apr 13, 2008

Thakkali Saatham / Tomato Rice

This is my favorite rice and I prepare it very often at home..I love to have it with potato chips and onion raita..It is suitable for lunch box meals too..It can be prepared when you are short of ingredients in the pantry because this needs very few ingredients..

        

Ingredients

Basmati rice - 2 cups
Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
Tomato - 5 or 6 medium sized ones
Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies - 2
Ghee / Oil - 3 teaspoons
Cumin /Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoons
5 or 6 cashews
Salt to taste

Directions

Puree the tomatoes in a mixie..
Add oil or ghee in a pressure cooker and roast the cashews until golden brown..
Then add the cumin seeds..Once they splutter add the onions and saute till they turn translucent..
Now add the tomato puree and cook for a minute..
Instead of pureeing the tomato you can also add finely chopped tomatoes..
But you will have to reduce the amount of water as the tomatoes give off some water..
Add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder..Also add salt..
Cook for a minute and add the required amount of water...
For two cups basmati rice add four cups water..I added 3 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup milk..
This gives more richness to the rice..Close the pressure cooker and cook until three whistles..
Garnish with one teaspoon ghee and coriander leaves..
Serve with raita of your choice..

This is my entry to LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow - 2008 hosted by Barbara..
This goes off to Srivalli's Rice mela

13 comments:

  1. I love Thakkali sadam, one of the easy dish to prepare when i am lazy enough. Lovely entry and the colour is perfect .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Divya . this looks delicious. Thanks for supporting A Taste Of Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato rice, Ok I am coming over! It looks delicious, Divya.. Nice color too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorita one too divya:)looks so so yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. DV,I love tomato rice, check my version too.. you may love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomato Rice.. yummm... this is the one pot dish I would love to have on a lazy day... quick and easy, and delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I make on a lazy day..but mine is an orangish colour...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tomato rice Divya and with chips..iam sure going to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I too make thakkali sadham,but i wonder u added milk in it with water :-O will it be ok for a spicy ricedish like this?But it looks yummmmyy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tomato rice is absolutely delicious, Divya. Your version looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice recipe divya.Will taste like byryani.looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was searching for the Tomato Rice recipe,and found exactly what I wanted....ur recipe looks and sounds amazing!!!great blog...keep going

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was searching for the tomato rice recipe from a long time,and found exactly what I was looking for....ur recipe looks and sounds delicious....Great Blog!!keep going

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...