Jul 17, 2008

Athirasam

Athirasam is a sweet made in South India especially during festivals..I remember my grandmother preparing this during festivals and sending them to all our neighbours and relatives..This was my all-time favorite..I never had a chance to have this sweet since I came here to the US..When my dad came here, my aunt had prepared the dough to make athirasam and sent it through appa..I made this yesterday and it came out too good..Brought back my childhood memories..Here goes the recipe..

Ingredients

Raw rice - 3 cups

Jaggery - 1 1/2 cup

Water - 1/2 cup

Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon

Oil for deep frying

Directions

Soak the raw rice for atleast three hours in water..Allow it to dry..It should be partially wet.Grind it in a mixer-grinder and sieve it to get a fine powder..The powder should be slightly wet..Keep it aside..

Powder the jaggery..Heat the water in a saucepan and add the jaggery to it..Simmer until a syrup is formed..Filter to remove the stones..After filtering bring it to a boil again until softball consistency (drop a small amount of jaggery in cold water,it should form a soft,flexible mass) is reached..When the jaggery syrup is ready,mix in the cardamom powder..Mix the syrup with the powdered rice flour to form a smooth dough..Keep the dough aside for atleast an hour..

Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed vessel..Apply oil in a plastic sheet and also in your fingers..Take a small amount of dough and flatten in out into small discs..It should be thinner than that of vada and thicker than that of chapathi..A hole can be made in the center so that it cooks evenly..

Deep fry in the oil until it turns crispy and deep golden brown..

Sending this to RCI: Andhra Festival Foods hosted by Vani..

This sweet always brings back my memoirs of my childhood days,where we used to wear new dresses,having fun with my cousins during all festivals..

So this goes off to Jeena's It's all about memories

Sending this to Sweet Series hosted by Paajaka.

And also to Yummy Festival Feast-Diwali..

Also sending this to Satisfy your sweet tooth hosted by Sudeshna

27 comments:

  1. hey divs...here comes another pinch for u and this time u can back pinch me ;D....athisaram is new to me..sounds just like donuts but south indian style :)..if u put chocolate sauce on top anyone can get fooled..good one..looks delicious :)..have u completed or yet to complete 100 posts ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Divya..Looks delicious .Usually I dont make hole in the middle..Great u have dont perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even we don't make a hole in athirasam. It's my family's favorite sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound absolutely delicious, could I just buy rice flour ? Now I have to go find out what jaggery is :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never seen a hole in middle! Different look but looks perfect, how lucky u r to get the dough! One of the tradit sweet Dhiv!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Divya, Your athirasam looks good. Me and my dad both love athirasam too. I never thought of making it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks soo good! Wish I could try one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dhivya this looks so delicious thank you for the entry. I love all kinds of Indian sweets and I can sure see why this is a favourite of yours it sounds great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh! athirasam is my fav :) i always get the frozen ones out here! looks lip smacking good, making it is such an art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey divya..thats super cool to make these..and they look so lovely as vada...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. nicae entry divya...me too remember the days i was having as a prasad in one of chennai shiva temple....its superb....luved ur once tooo...

    ReplyDelete
  12. athirasam.....my MIL used to pack it for me whenever i made a trip there.....more than me my roomie loves them

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, and yes, they bring back memories of festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. we have same type of dish in our area. but shape is different.
    love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love this sweet...yet to try making them at home...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks really good. Even though I love sweets with jaggery, this is one I avoid, but my husband loves it.
    It is usually part of "bhakshanam" (mandatory sweet preparations made and given away to family) at our weddings. We don't make it with holes either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i remember trying to make them once..it was so bad i had to throw the dough,, i feel it is th emost difficult thing to make..
    and if you have made it ,it is one of your greatest achievement i feel ...they look delicious indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is completely new to me. thanks for sharing this DK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a weakness for jaggery- based sweets. Looks good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my my..awesome..i simply love this sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yours looks great Divya. I tried making it from scratch for last Deepavali and it was a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never seen it made with a hole in the middle. Yours look perfect, Divya! You make it sound very doable. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow.. yummy and mouth watering.. i don't find words to describe how perfectly u have prepared adirasam

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look like pretty little vadas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey divya
    i just love athirasam... never ventured to try though. will try these asap.
    my mom used to make these for me...
    seeing this amma niyabagam varuthu !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Is this your photo http://lalithakitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/soak-raw-rice-in-water-for-3-hours.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...